The History of Beach Breeze Inn
This house was originally built in 1858 by local James Fish on the site of the former Falmouth Glass Factory. The factory had been opened in 1851 in an attempt to bring industry to the town and it employed about 40 people. In 1883 Mrs. C. F. (Ellen) Morse purchased the house from Mr. Fish. Her husband Charles was the president of the Kansas City Stockyards. Mr. Morse was familiar with Falmouth from his days growing up in the Boston suburb of Jamaica Plain. A large addition to the house was completed in 1896.In 1899 they bought the old Gifford house that lay between this house and the water and moved it back and to the west of the Morse House. This house was used as a laundry and housing unit.
The Morse family came to Falmouth each summer by private train, bringing horses, carriages, pets, cars and servants with them. She had the first electric car in town, and he owned a series of yachts. They became full-time residents after Mr. Morse retired. He died in 1926. Mrs. Morse died in 1940.
The house was purchased by the Shaw family in 1946 and converted into an Inn and named it the Shore Haven Inn. In the early 60’s with the addition of several small cottages it was known as the Shore Haven Inn and Motor Lodge. The land was divided in 1987 and the cottages were sold as private residences. The Shore Haven continued to operate as a seaside inn until it was purchased in July of 2002 by Don & Joyce Filiault.
Renamed the Beach Breeze Inn in early 2003, the Inn has undergone extensive renovation focusing on the fine craftsmanship originally such an important part of the house. Mahogany banisters, southern yellow pine floors, crown molding and wainscoting have all been brought back to their original beauty. Each of our guest rooms have been lovingly renovated and that process is ongoing. We have also created numerous garden areas which supply a constant accent of color and texture.
The winter of 2014 saw the original porch demolished and a new one constructed along with a complete replacement of the siding of the front of the property and replacement of all the windows on the front of the house. A second interior staircase was created allowing for an additional egress to replace the dilapidated old walkway that ran along the roof of the old porch. New life safety systems were installed and several more rooms were renovated, literally from the ground up.